In my previous post, I’ve talked about where to experience “everything Dutch” for a day in Zaanse Schans. If you also noticed, I’ve mentioned that I would be reviewing another place in the Netherlands where you can see the whole of the country in just 1 day. Yep, you got that right — it’s none other but Madurodam, a beautiful miniature park located in The Hague (a.k.a. Den Haag)!
Madurodam opened back in 1952 and has hosted millions of excited visitors, wanting to take a bunch of photos with 1:25 scale model replicas of famous Dutch landmarks, historical cities, and large developments — while at the same time learning about Dutch history.
I’ve visited this place long long time ago with my mom. I can’t say I remember anything about what I saw 😀 I’m sure things were even cuter and more magical in the eyes of a 2-year-old me, but I’m glad I made it there again as an adult! 🙂
I met a girl from Melbourne, Australia on the way to The Hague. Her name is Nikki. We took the same bus from Amsterdam and so we decided to go to Madurodam together, since both of us were traveling alone. I’d like to thank her for being my model for the photos in this blog post!
MADURODAM | Trivia:
- A day ticket costs €16.50 if you buy it on the spot, but you can get it for €14.50 online. There are more discounts if you visit in a group of 3+ or if you want a combination ticket of Madurodam and Sea Life Scheveningen. Check all the prices here and the special group packages here.
- It’s open Monday to Sunday, all year round, from 9AM to 7PM. You can go there any day you want!
- They have very considerate facilities for people in needs, e.g. wheelchairs, buggies, and even guide dogs (!).
THE HAGUE | Trivia:
- If your trip is mainly happening in Amsterdam and you don’t have enough time to stay overnight in The Hague, no big deal! You can reach this city in less than 40 minutes by train. Just like in Madurodam, Den Haag Centraal station also has lockers if you want to keep your bags. Nikki and I rented one big locker for €9 (or €4.5 each) to store our backpacks.
- Bear in mind that — unlike Amsterdam Day Ticket — The Hague Day Ticket is not valid for 24 hours (from the minute you start using the ticket until 24 hours later the next day). This ticket is valid the whole day, but within the same day only.
- Be confused no more! Amsterdam is the country’s capital, but The Hague is the seat of the Dutch government.
There’s definitely a lot more to see in Madurodam but I’m just gonna stop bombarding you with my photos now. Before I end this post, I’d like to give a quick shoutout to Srikandi, an Indonesian restaurant in The Hague where I had my fantastic dinner with my friends! Thanks, Cathy and Lukas, for bringing me here and for hosting me in The Hague! Your lovely hospitality will never be forgotten ♥ … and maybe see you guys again in Ireland? 🙂
Another amazing replica park that I have ever been was Window of The World in Shenzhen, China. But of course, I’ll write about it another time!
What about you, what’s your favourite theme park? And why?
Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below! 🙂